The Machine Ethics Podcast compendium
This page is an evolving document that will help anyone listening to the podcast partially decypher the terms and learn more about the subjects discussed.
This is by no way a complete document and is meant as a resource and talking point.
Artifical intelligence - Computer programs with some level of learning and/or autonomy. This term seems to be a moving goal-post as our algorithms become ever more sophisticated.
Machine Ethics - The study and implementation of moral behaviors in artificial systems / programs created to act as moral agents.
Robo-ethics - The morals of making autonomous systems that can effect us directly e.g. autonomous cars, robots used in warfare.
Computer Ethics - The actions of humans on computers, data and programs
Theories of mind - As AI systems become more intelligent the study of the mind, conciousness, and of temporal beings will become more important to distinguish facets of these things in AI and indeed what that means for us.
Projects / research / standards of interest:
- Open AI: https://openai.com
- MIT Moral machines: http://moralmachine.mit.edu/
- Microsoft FATE: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/group/fate/
- EPSRC: https://www.epsrc.ac.uk/research/ourportfolio/themes/engineering/activities/principlesofrobotics/
- IEEE ethics in action: https://ethicsinaction.ieee.org/
Ethical tech guidelines / opinions / frameworks:
- Asilomar study on long term AI futures - http://www.aaai.org/Organization/asilomar-study.pdf
- Big Data Ethics - Beyond IRBs: Ethical Guidelines for Data Research: https://bigdata.fpf.org/papers/beyond-irbs-ethical-guidelines-for-data-research/
- Design Ethically - https://www.designethically.com/toolkit
- Digital Catapult - Ethics Framework: https://www.migarage.ai/ethics-framework/
- EPSRC - Principles of robotics: https://epsrc.ukri.org/research/ourportfolio/themes/engineering/activities/principlesofrobotics/
- Future of life institue - Global AI Policy: https://futureoflife.org/ai-policy/?cn-reloaded=1&cn-reloaded=1
- Google - AI principles: https://www.blog.google/technology/ai/ai-principles/
- IBM - Everyday Ethics for Artificial Intelligence: https://www.ibm.com/watson/assets/duo/pdf/everydayethics.pdf
- IF - Data ethics toolkit: https://www.projectsbyif.com/blog/data-ethics-toolkits-9-practices-for-organisations-operating-digital-services
- NESTA - 10 questions to answer before using AI in public sector algorithmic decision making: https://www.nesta.org.uk/blog/10-questions-ai-public-sector-algorithmic-decision-making/
- Partnership on AI - Our Work (Thematic Pillars): https://www.partnershiponai.org/about/#our-work
- Toward an Ethics of AI Assistants: an Initial Framework: https://link.springer.com/epdf/10.1007/s13347-018-0317-3
- Unity3d - Introducing Unity’s Guiding Principles for Ethical AI: https://blogs.unity3d.com/2018/11/28/introducing-unitys-guiding-principles-for-ethical-ai/
- UK select committee on AI: http://www.parliament.uk/ai-committee
- Joanna Bryson: http://www.cs.bath.ac.uk/~jjb/
- Alan Winfield: http://alanwinfield.blogspot.co.uk/
- Rob McCargow: https://twitter.com/robmccargow
- Machine Ethics
- Machine Ethics: http://www.cambridge.org/catalogue/catalogue.asp?isbn=113906486X
- Robotics: a short history: https://global.oup.com/academic/product/robotics-a-very-short-introduction-9780199695980?cc=gb&lang=en&
- Professor Stuart Russell https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYQrNfSmQ0M
- Humans need not apply https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pq-S557XQU
- Ethics for Design http://ethicsfordesign.com/player?lang=en
- Automated cars and the Trolley problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1wdMJlOBJk
Articles / lists:
- Data permissions catalogue https://catalogue.projectsbyif.com/
- Ethical design manifesto https://ind.ie/ethical-design/